Firefox 3 and Hotmail

My browser of choice. Favorite extensions, how to's and help. News

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

Poopsi
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Firefox 3 and Hotmail

Postby Poopsi » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:16 pm

I read very little about the problem with Firefox 3 and Hotmail. I don't like the fact that I can not use the full version of Hotmail but have to use the classic version. Does anyone know if and when they might correct this?

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Re: Firefox 3 and Hotmail

Postby W3FSY » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:17 pm

Hi Poopsi,

I don't use Firefox, but do use Hotmail all the time. In the past I've had all kinds of problems not being able to view emails, not being able to send them and what have you. I use a 19" monitor and everytime I would try using the Full version I found it difficult to read everything as it was all bunched in and I would keep switching back to the Classic View.

I would recommend you download and install "Windows Live Mail" program as it is going to be replacing Outlook Express as well as Vista's Live Mail in the future. If you follow the Tutorial provided in the 5th post and read all the information that has been posted in the link you should not have any problems installing "Windows Live Mail". Uncheck the "Toolbar" so you do not get that downloaded as it has caused problems for some in the past. You will be able to view your Internet Provider "POP 3 emails" as well as web-based Hotmail, G-mail, etc. all in one program. It has a few more features than Hotmail and you never have to visit and sign in anymore at your Hotmail Account. All your email addy's also are moved to WLM. The below link is in "Freeware Discussion" forum.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=870 :link:

:scrm:
RON – W3FSY
(General Class Amateur Radio Operator licensed since 1955.)

Dell Insp. 530 – Windows XP H.Ed. w/SP 3 - 320 Gb HD - 1 Gb RAM - IE 7
Online Armor 5.5.0.1616 (Free) Firewall – Avast! (Free) Antivirus v7.0.1466
MBAM v1.62.00.1300 – SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Ed.) v5.5.1012
SWB v4.6 – ATF Cleaner – Cyber Sent. v3.5.9.0 - FX v14.0.1 - BelArc Adv.

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi Poopsi welcome to Montanta Menagerie. :wlcm: Live Hotmail is not compatable with FF3. I never had much luck with the full version at all, it was always hanging up and so slow. What you can do is install IETab on FF and view Hotmail using that. It will appear as though your using IE but your not. :celb: Get it here.

It's not a really technological problem. It's just that Hotmail checks your browser's name and version when you enter in. And it's programmed to switch to classic version if browser is different from IE 6 or 7 and from Firefox 1.5 or 2.0. It's just that, a simple couple of 'IFs'. When Microsoft want so, they will include the possibility of brosering full version of Hotmail with Firefox 3.0. Firefox 3.0 is fully techonologically compatible with Hotmai.
From here.
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
ImageImageImage Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

Poopsi
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby Poopsi » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:46 pm

Thank you W3FSY and Jean for your replies. I did download IETab but it didn't work. I still just got the classic version of Hotmail. I am reading up on Windows Live mail. Thank you for your suggestion W3FSY. Might just go that route or transfer all my contacts over to Gmail. Just so much work. Hope the weather is as good where you are as it is here in Canada. Irene

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:29 pm

Gmail has a transfer for Hotmail I'm sure. You would have to choose to use the full version of Hotmail in the options. Did you try that?

Poopsi
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby Poopsi » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:15 pm

As far as my Hotmail Account is concerned, I have tried every thing. Followed their steps of resolving the problems. Nothing works. Mozzilla has a post on their site informing people that they can't use the full version of Hotmail with the new Firefox. If I had know that before, I wouldn't have downloaded Firefox 3. Of course, I can still use the full version with IE. Irene

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:56 pm

In that same post link I gave it says the full version will work with IETab. There was an update for IETab too did you get it?

Poopsi
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby Poopsi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:05 am

Thank you Jean. I didn't know they had updated IEtab. I now get Hotmail in full version. How wonderful is that!!!!!! So glad I asked for help. Irene

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 pm

:celb: So glad we could help. You can set FF to check for updates evey time you start it.

Return to “Firefox”