Mozilla Firefox vs. Internet Explorer: Which is Safer?

My browser of choice. Favorite extensions, how to's and help. News

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Mozilla Firefox vs. Internet Explorer: Which is Safer?

Postby rockingmtranch » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:40 pm

By Kenneth van Wyk

I am safer browsing in Mozilla’s Firefox browser than I am in Microsoft’s Internet Explorer. I firmly believe this to be the case. Yes, that’s right, Firefox is safer than IE.

In the same vein as my series earlier this year on Windows vs. OS X vs. Linux security, let’s explore how I came to this subjective opinion.

• Lower profile target. One of the main reasons I’m more willing to trust my data security to my OS X (Mac) system is that they have a smaller market share than Windows does. This sounds peculiar to many people who aren’t familiar with security, but in the dangerous world that is the Internet, keeping a low profile can be an important aspect of staying secure.

The reason for this, quite simply, is that our attackers, by and large, write their attack code to market share, for all the same reasons that legitimate software developers most often deliver their Windows products before their Mac or Linux ones.

Now, I’m fully aware that Firefox continues to make strides in this area and is constantly gaining market share, so this argument may well eventually fail. I’m confident, though, that by then I’ll have other, lower profile choices available.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/secu/a ... hp/3698606
Linux. Don't fight it. You will be assimilated.
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry--Fort Polk, LA

Return to “Firefox”