Free alternative to MIGO?

Discuss software listed in Freeware Free For All. Tell us about software you have found.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

exile360
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Free alternative to MIGO?

Postby exile360 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:06 am

Anybody know of a freeware tool I can use to sync my favorites on demand with a pc I plug my flash drive into (having to open the drive and run the executable manually is fine, doesn't have to autolaunch) and then revert to the original state when I exit the program or remove the flash drive? MIGO (free only with U3, otherwise $50) serves such a function (and more that I don't need), but my drive isn't U3 (and I HATE U3 so I don't wanna use one). I also don't want to use any other portable launch program on my flash drive, just a simple portable app to accomplish this task. I guess if there is none I could write a batch or vbs to back up the existing user's favs to an alt folder, then delete the originals, then copy mine over, then remove them and replace the backups, but I'd rather have a simple app that can accomplish it with less sloppiness (and potential catastrophie for the resident user's favorites). It only need work with IE.

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Re: Free alternative to MIGO?

Postby JeanInMontana » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:50 pm

Goggle Browser Sync was awesome for FF but it's not supported now with 3.xx . Foxmarks is a free service for FF that would do what you want I think. Sorry I don't use IE unless forced.
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
ImageImageImage Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

exile360
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby exile360 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:31 am

Thanks for the info Jean (and thanks for moving my post to the proper area). I only use IE, I know in the past it wasn't the most secure choice, but with the layers of security I use plus the fact that I always keep Windows patched it seems relatively safe.

MysteryFCM
Runnin The Show
Runnin The Show

Postby MysteryFCM » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:57 am

Let me know exactly what it does and I'll see about throwing something together for you :)

Btw, with Avan't online storage, you'd have the same (kinda) thing regardless of where it was accessed (Avant has a USB version too)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:24 pm

I don't use FF for security reasons. It's purely functionality. It has so many options for customizing and having a browser how I want it to be and work. I don't know of any online type storage for IE or synchronization options either for that matter.

exile360
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby exile360 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:00 am

@MysteryFCM: Basically MIGO is a U3 (portable) program that runs from a flash drive and stores your favorites and certain settings (like the desktop background) and applies them to any PC when you plug the drive in. I don't need the desktop background functionality, just the favorites for IE. When you exit MIGO everything goes back the way it was before the drive was plugged in. It's handy for when I take my flash drive to work. All I would want is a portable app that I could run from my flash drive that would provide that functionality (basically temporarily replace the current user's favorites in IE with my own that I keep in a folder on my flash drive). If you could put something together for me that would be really great.

@Jean: Yeah, I've always heard good things about the features in FF but have never used it myself. I'm just too used to IE I guess, but some of my friends and my sister swear by FF. I may look into it someday, but for now I'm content with IE, I just hope MS hasn't changed too much with IE8.

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:26 am

I must be missing something here exile, but I see no point in keeping your favorites on a flash drive when IE allows you to create a folder within "Favorites" and you could just name it "exile", unless you are afraid of your employer or someone else opening the files stored within that particular folder.

I have like 14 folders within my Favorites, as I don't like tab browsing (IE 7 & F.F.).
RON – W3FSY
(General Class Amateur Radio Operator licensed since 1955.)

Dell Insp. 530 – Windows XP H.Ed. w/SP 3 - 320 Gb HD - 1 Gb RAM - IE 7
Online Armor 5.5.0.1616 (Free) Firewall – Avast! (Free) Antivirus v7.0.1466
MBAM v1.62.00.1300 – SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Ed.) v5.5.1012
SWB v4.6 – ATF Cleaner – Cyber Sent. v3.5.9.0 - FX v14.0.1 - BelArc Adv.

exile360
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby exile360 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:31 am

Yeah, basically I have like zillions of favorites (actually somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000) and they are organized into folders etc, but many link to tools, utilities and info that could be harmful in the wrong hands so I wouldn't want any of my co-workers stumbling into my favs and downloading/running something on our work PC that they shouldn't. Here's what I've made so far (just a couple of batch files):

Code: Select all

mkdir %systemdrive%\FavsBack
xcopy /e "%userprofile%\favorites" "%systemdrive%\FavsBack"
del /f /q "%userprofile%\favorites"
rmdir /s /q "%userprofile%\favorites\links"
xcopy /e "%cd%\My Favs" "%userprofile%\favorites"

and the file that reverts the favorites:

Code: Select all

rmdir /s /q "%userprofile%\favorites"
mkdir "%userprofile%\favorites"
xcopy /e "%systemdrive%\FavsBack" "%userprofile%\favorites"
rmdir /s /q "%systemdrive%\FavsBack"

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:27 pm

Ron, IE stays on the PC, if you go to another location and want to access your favorites it's impossible. I am absolutely lost without my Bookmark toolbar in FF and my whole set up, FF will go to a Flash drive, and carry all that, if I have to use another PC for any reason, I have my shtuff. :celb:

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:18 am

And, sites like Delicious save all your bookmarks so you can access them anytime from any pc.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3615

Doesn't even have to be an add-on. You can just access your free account from any browser.

http://delicious.com/

I use it. There are many, many more out there.
Linux. Don't fight it. You will be assimilated.
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry--Fort Polk, LA

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:20 pm

Yup.. Foxmarks is the same concept.

exile360
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby exile360 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:46 am

Thanks for all the info everybody. I'm sticking with the batch file for now, I even added some registry settings to it to turn on the links bar (and then turn it off again when I run the second batch). It's working very well as a Migo alternative.

Return to “Freeware Discussion”