sp3 help

General system trouble. Software, hardware related. NOT for infection assistance.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

lurkingatu2
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

sp3 help

Postby lurkingatu2 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:03 am

hello

well i installed sp3 on this laptop from microsoft update that i was working on
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/inde ... topic=4930

i went to microsoft update and let it install sp3 the download/install screen there started
it said it downloaded sp3 and it then install sp3 but it had a error at the end of the cleanup
Error Code: 0x800704B8 and said to try and reinstall again but there was no sp3 listed to install
so i restarted this laptop and it was slow restarting and getting to the desktop once it got there
the desktop loaded very slow but it loaded

then the yellow shield pops up for windows updates and downloaded some updates that was not there
before i installed sp3 because i was there all ready and installed some updates the updates where

security update for windows xp kb951376
cumulative security update for iexplorer 6 for windows xp kb950759
security update for windows xp kb950762
security update for windows xp kb951698

then wanted to restart so i restarted the pc and everything loaded fine so i restarted again just
to be sure and no problem so i went back to windows update and looked for sp3 to reinstall and it's
not there so i went in to the control panal and clicked on the system icon there and it says

system
microsoft windows xp home edition version 2002 service pack 3

so it must of installed but when i go back to microsoft updates and look at review your update history
for sp3 it says it failed with that error Error Code: 0x800704B8 and to update again but sp3 is not there

i cant see no errors in the event viewer and there is nothing going wrong with the pc everything seems to
be working as far as i can tell it starts fine it turns off fine theres nothing in the task manager using
cpu microsoft updates doin't offer me sp3 so i doin't know what to do

i really doin't want to uninstall and reinstall sp3 after reading all the problems people are having with it
so should i leave it alone it's all working good i used ccleaner to clean up the registry after the install
i'v also installed iexplorer 7 and upgreaded windows media player 9 to 11 after sp3

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2gb Memory Winxp MCE sp3
Avast IS
Malwarebites
Superantispyware Pro
Sandboxie

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Re: sp3 help

Postby JeanInMontana » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:54 am

I haven't put SP3 on mine yet. I turned on Windows Updates day before yesterday out of guilt. It has been months since I did an update. So far nothing has been updated, so I have great faith in that!! Now I see this and people are still having trouble with SP3. I have had similar stuff to this with the updates site. I would also scan here see what else she needs updated.
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
ImageImageImage Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

lurkingatu2
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby lurkingatu2 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:02 pm

ok it passed secunia with no errors detected it just found a old macromedia flash player
so i'll go and fix that even though i'v updated the adobe flash

so i would guess sp3 is ok it was just at the last part of installing when it was cleaning up
i got the error so i think with ccleaners reg cleaner i got what it did not i would hope

so i'm off to fix the flash player she is coming to get it today

thanks so very much again

:)
Avast IS
Malwarebites
Superantispyware Pro
Sandboxie

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:18 pm

You deserve a medal for what you have done for this woman. I'm fairly sure Macromedia and Adobe are not the same.

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Hi lurkingatu2,

Windows XP Service Pack 3 will also appear as the last item on your Add or Remove Programs should you ever want to remove it.

The four WU's (KB 951376, KB 950759, KB 950762 and KB 951698) are all new June 11, 2008 Window XP Updates and are actually part of a new SP 4 pack whenever that gets released. :roll:

You should of seen Registry Issues marked for deletion for SP 2 WU's if you have CCleaner on that computer. I usually wait a few weeks before deleting any of the issues.

Whenever doing WU's, it is wise to create a Restore Point within System Restore. Then download and install each WU one at a time checking to see if any problems exist such as computer slowdown and not being able to access sites you have visited in the past. By doing one at a time you can determine if that particular WU is causing any problems rather than dumping all the WU's with going back to the system restore date and time that was created.

Anyways, sounds like SP 3 is installed "Okey Dokey", lurkingatu2.

Guess my reply is late as I see Jean just added a reply.
:celb:
RON – W3FSY
(General Class Amateur Radio Operator licensed since 1955.)

Dell Insp. 530 – Windows XP H.Ed. w/SP 3 - 320 Gb HD - 1 Gb RAM - IE 7
Online Armor 5.5.0.1616 (Free) Firewall – Avast! (Free) Antivirus v7.0.1466
MBAM v1.62.00.1300 – SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Ed.) v5.5.1012
SWB v4.6 – ATF Cleaner – Cyber Sent. v3.5.9.0 - FX v14.0.1 - BelArc Adv.

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:00 pm

SP3 would only appear as the last entry in A/R Programs if you had no programs installed with letters occurring after W. The A/R list is done alphabetically.

lurkingatu2
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby lurkingatu2 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:22 pm

well thanks guys

now i'f i can stop her and her husband from downloading free games and free screen savers and him from going to bad places lol

i'm going to give them a going over about it lol and try to get them to go to pogo or msn to play games and see if i can get her to join
here so we can help her if she needs help i'm also trying to get my dad to join but he just calls me when he has trouble lol

thanks again Jean and W3FSY

:)
Avast IS
Malwarebites
Superantispyware Pro
Sandboxie

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:56 pm

:bst: "Words without Thought". ("Words, just Words!" - Now that sounds like Barack Obama.) :rotf:

Your correct, Jean!
Some still use "ZoneAlarm" and that would be an exception right there. I was just considering my programs currently in use.

:scrm:
RON – W3FSY
(General Class Amateur Radio Operator licensed since 1955.)

Dell Insp. 530 – Windows XP H.Ed. w/SP 3 - 320 Gb HD - 1 Gb RAM - IE 7
Online Armor 5.5.0.1616 (Free) Firewall – Avast! (Free) Antivirus v7.0.1466
MBAM v1.62.00.1300 – SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Ed.) v5.5.1012
SWB v4.6 – ATF Cleaner – Cyber Sent. v3.5.9.0 - FX v14.0.1 - BelArc Adv.

Return to “Migraines & Melancholy”