Removing Roxio

General system trouble. Software, hardware related. NOT for infection assistance.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

Tampa9vd
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Removing Roxio

Postby Tampa9vd » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:33 pm

I am attempting to remove Roxio Creator 9 off of my Vista computer. I found these instructions on the Roxio knowledge base: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR. Step one is to download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe). However, herein lies the problem. When I go to install msicuu2.exe, a message pops up and reports, "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the 'Windows Installer Clean Up' disk and click OK." In the "Use source" drop-down window in that message the only option is "Please insert the disk lableled "(ProductName)"." I've Googled the error message ad nauseum. The only thing I've been able to find is where people were being told how to correct botched up uninstalls of something like Office or Adobe, where they would need to insert their install CD into the drive. I don't have a disk or know which disk I should install. Any ideas ... or any ideas of where I could get some help with this?

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Re: Removing Roxio

Postby W3FSY » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:46 pm

I have Roxio 9 on my Dell and about all I could tell you about it is there are 12 programs involved with the installation. I seldom use Roxio 9, but I'm curious as to why you would want to remove it. The only time I used it was with the assistance of on-line support (Dell techs walking me through using it.)

I use Online Armor firewall and did a quick check to see if I had that particular .exe file and I don't see it showing. I do see Roxio Central 33.exe in use on my firewall when I go to open Roxio 9.

I can see where I would be of no help to you. Perhaps Jean uses Roxio 9 and has a better understanding of the programs involved.

Catch you later, Terry.
:srf:
RON – W3FSY
(General Class Amateur Radio Operator licensed since 1955.)

Dell Insp. 530 – Windows XP H.Ed. w/SP 3 - 320 Gb HD - 1 Gb RAM - IE 7
Online Armor 5.5.0.1616 (Free) Firewall – Avast! (Free) Antivirus v7.0.1466
MBAM v1.62.00.1300 – SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Ed.) v5.5.1012
SWB v4.6 – ATF Cleaner – Cyber Sent. v3.5.9.0 - FX v14.0.1 - BelArc Adv.

Tampa9vd
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby Tampa9vd » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:15 pm

Thanks for the reply (and the Welcome!) even if you couldn't help, Ron. Roxio is a bugger. It's notoriously hard to remove. I don't use it in any way, shape, manner or form, so I don't want it taking up resources, be those resources memory or hard disk real estate.

It's all part of the process I started on malwarebytes ... taking back control of my computer. I started with some malware, and now I've worked up to optimizing and tweaking my system and uninstalling software I don't want.

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Terry won't it just uninstall via Add Remove programs?
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
ImageImageImage Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

Tampa9vd
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby Tampa9vd » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:34 pm

It doesn't show UP in Add/Remove Programs, even though it does show up in my HiJackThis log and in Start -> All Programs -> Media Manager 9. There is no uninstall under the Start -> All Programs, either.

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:41 pm

What shows in the HJT log? A service? That can be stopped.

Tampa9vd
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby Tampa9vd » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Duh!

Okay, I Disabled 5 Roxio/Sonic processes in WinPatrol PLUS and rebooted. No HiJackThis entries!!!

I am *really* liking WinPatrol PLUS. I'm using that PLUS button a *lot*. And it gives me an amazing amount of control over my system.

Have you checked out the new Secunia Personal Software Inspector? Scanning my system, it found 2 programs that were out of date that the online version didn't.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

Tampa9vd
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby Tampa9vd » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Jean, this new Secunia Personal Software Inspector is *REALLY* cool. After you run your first scan, check out the Advanced Interface mode underneath the name in the upper right-hand corner.

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:10 am

:rotf: Terry I'm the one that told you about Secunia. It is in my closing speech for HJT logs. WinPatrol Plus is a great tool. Great guy is behind it too. I have used Scotty for several years now.

Tampa9vd
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby Tampa9vd » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:14 am

When you told me to do a Secunia scan, I did the OSI (Online) scan. When I visited the site yesterday, I saw the PSI (Downloadable) scan and thought it was new. Doing a Google search just now, I see it's been out since probably before January of this year.

The only reason I ordered WinPatrol was because you said it was worth purchasing. After working with it, though, I totally agree! The information I get gives me so much control, allowing me to make knowlegable, informed decisions about software, processes and services.

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:36 am

Yes WinPatrol, keeps getting better. The delayed start is a good one too, although some programs don't like to be controlled. I don't actually use either Secunia, I update when needed. But I wonder if the downloadable doesn't need to be updated also? I do get the newsletter...LOL maybe I'll read it. I will have more time now.

Return to “Migraines & Melancholy”