Best way to Uninstall a program?

General system trouble. Software, hardware related. NOT for infection assistance.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

grits
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Best way to Uninstall a program?

Postby grits » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:43 pm

If there is an Uninstall option in the menu, is that a better way to go rather than using the Add/Remove page? Does one do a better job than the other? And if I have several programs that I want to uninstall should I do them one at a time, re-boot, then go to next one, or uninstall all, then re-boot just once?

I've got some serious house cleaning to do.

Thanx,
grits

exile360
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Re: Best way to Uninstall a program?

Postby exile360 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:39 am

The uninstaller through the program's menu and the uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs are actually identical. Add/Remove Programs just runs the same uninstaller that you would be clicking from the start menu or program's folder. To clean out files you don't need, have a look in your Program Files folder for any leftovers from software you've already uninstalled, and you can also run a free cleaning tool like Ccleaner or ATF Cleaner to get rid of temp/junk files, and Ccleaner will also help to get rid of leftover registry entries from software you've uninstalled (just be sure to utilize the backup function if you do the registry cleaning in case something goes wrong).

lurkingatu2
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby lurkingatu2 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:07 pm

hello

i do one at a time so i doin't get lost and forget what i'm looking for i do what exile360 does
but i also look in these places as software can leave things behind in these folders also

go in to the folder options and under view then hidden files and folders and put a mark in show
hidden files and folders then un-check hide extensions for known file types and un-check hide
protected operating systen files then apply

now go to C:\Documents and Settings and look in the folders there like all users and the folder
with the name of the user then look in the these places for leftovers

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\"name of user"
C:\Documents and Settings\"name of user"\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\"name of user"\Local Settings\Application Data

then after your done uninstalling go back and re-check the stuff in the folder options

by the way :HB:

:)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2gb Memory Winxp MCE sp3
Avast IS
Malwarebites
Superantispyware Pro
Sandboxie

grits
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby grits » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:04 pm

Thanks guys, will go to work on that. And "Thank you" for the B/day greeting.

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:24 pm

:HB: I go down the list in Add/Remove and uninstall it all then reboot . Then you should run a disk error check and then defragment. You will have lots of fragmented files after uninstalling or installing programs.
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
ImageImageImage Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

Return to “Migraines & Melancholy”