my dad and his pc lol

General system trouble. Software, hardware related. NOT for infection assistance.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

lurkingatu2
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

my dad and his pc lol

Postby lurkingatu2 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:52 pm

i got a email from Microsoft yesterday thanking my for testing Microsoft Security Essentials and said

"The final version of Microsoft Security Essentials will be released to the public in the coming weeks"

i was running it on Windows 7 RC on Virtualbox and it seems ok so i'm thinking about putting it on my
dads pc (Win xp pro sp3 MCE) when it comes out

right now i have Avira Pe free on his pc but he wont update it or Mbam or SuperAntiSpyware but he will
let Microsoft updates update and i'v showed him how to update them but he just wont do it and he don't
like the Avira popup that happens when i leave Avira to auto update

and i know Avira is much better than Microsoft Security Essentials but mabe he could be safer with it
because he wont see a popup when it updates and it might be better than me going over there every few
weeks to few months and update and scan his pc because i don't get over to his place all that often

i got him to use Sandboxie and he thinks it's cool and likes it but he also does online banking so i think
he needs to get at least AV updates when he goes online

so do you all think Microsoft Security Essentials could be better for him

damn old people set in there ways lol

thanks

:)

(lmao i said you all damn i listen to to much country music) :rotf:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2gb Memory Winxp MCE sp3
Avast IS
Malwarebites
Superantispyware Pro
Sandboxie

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Re: my dad and his pc lol

Postby W3FSY » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:51 am

C'mon now, lurking. Give all of us Senior Citizens a break. We get busy! :rotf:

I was shocked to hear that Avira AV does not automatically get updates. I thought all AV programs got auto updated today on a daily basis. I would be putting Avast AV on "Dad's PC" in a blink of the eye and there is email protection with Avast as well. I certainly would not put on a security suite that may be a resource hog when he already has excellent spyware programs in place. I just went with the free MBAM, but also use S. S.&D. & SAS. They are in place and I generally run them each once a week. SAS usually reminds you (if you let it go without getting updates for longer than 5 days) once you do go to update it.

SpywareBlaster program is a necessity as well.

Just my thoughts, lurkingatu2. Catch y'all later. ;)
RON – W3FSY
(General Class Amateur Radio Operator licensed since 1955.)

Dell Insp. 530 – Windows XP H.Ed. w/SP 3 - 320 Gb HD - 1 Gb RAM - IE 7
Online Armor 5.5.0.1616 (Free) Firewall – Avast! (Free) Antivirus v7.0.1466
MBAM v1.62.00.1300 – SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Ed.) v5.5.1012
SWB v4.6 – ATF Cleaner – Cyber Sent. v3.5.9.0 - FX v14.0.1 - BelArc Adv.

lurkingatu2
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Re: my dad and his pc lol

Postby lurkingatu2 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:29 am

thank you very much W3FSY

Avira does auto update one time a day lol and i thought of Avast he might like it when it talks after
a update but i was going to wait for V5 and try it first and see how it goes as i'v tryed Avast meany
times and it's ok but go back to Avira everytime and AVG justs sucks it trys to eat everything even
itself lol

he just don't like to be bothered with the popup that Avira has when it updates and if i get to much
stuff on his pc and there is to meany questions that popup he don't know what to pick like i have
winpatrol on his pc but have it not start because when scotty would go off after a update or he installed
something he would block it and i would have to go fix it and i use winpatrol mostly for startup control
anyhow

and yes i use Spywareblaster i put it on every pc i maintain (8 of them) but Spybot s&d is a bit old and
i had problems with it on a few pc's so i stoped using it

and yes i know Senior Citizens get busy lol but he all so gets confused easy and calls me all the time and
i got to figure out what he is talking about and try to help him and sometimes i just have go over there
because i just don't understand what he is talking about i mean he is getting better at it but if to much
stuff started going off he just don't know what to do and starts calling me again lol

so mabe i'll wait for Avast v5 and give it a go again but Microsoft Security Essentials ran good on Windows 7
and seemed ok to me

and thank you again

anybody else ?

:)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2gb Memory Winxp MCE sp3
Avast IS
Malwarebites
Superantispyware Pro
Sandboxie

Return to “Migraines & Melancholy”