I messed up either FastStone Capture or "Always open with"

General system trouble. Software, hardware related. NOT for infection assistance.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

grits
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

I messed up either FastStone Capture or "Always open with"

Postby grits » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:43 am

or both -:- . I have the last free version of FSC ( 5.3 ) & have always just clicked either To File,To Printer, or To Email for "output", but yesterday I went "off my nut" & decided to try using "hot keys" & from there somehow ended up with having to "choose which program to open with". Now I can't find any of the several shots I took after that. Of course my CRS is in full gear so don't really remember all that I did do altho' I also messed with the Auto Save in FSC & didn't have the slightest idea of wtf I was doing there, so messed up some more!!

I have oodles of shots throughout my 'puter that I'd rather not lose so would I be safe in un-installing,then re-installing FSC?
Then there's that damn check mark at "Always open with" !! Is it at all possible to uncheck it?!? I've done several searches over the years trying to find an answer to that question & never have.

Thanx a bunch,
grits

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Re: I messed up either FastStone Capture or "Always open wit

Postby JeanInMontana » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Grits, sounds like you have a file association problem. Yes you can uncheck the 'always open with' The photos won't be lost, they are in some photo format, jpeg,gif,bmp,png for still shots. They should be in your My Pictures folder on XP and Pictures for Vista. If you uncheck the always open with then change to always open with Windows Picture and Fax viewer, or what ever you want you should be fine. I try (half assed) to keep pictures organized in folders, my camera likes to take over and make folders every time I transfer from the SD card. You can use 'recent' items to find the newer ones maybe.

Let me know if this helps, I'm still on my first cup of coffee and just hung up the phone on my nagging mother so I lost my train of thought.
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
ImageImageImage Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

grits
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby grits » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanx Jean but I should've explained further, these aren't photos, mainly screen shots (using FSC) of misc. things like error msg's. for when my girl friend (knows more about 'puters than me) comes to visit or just a capture of the 5 day forcast from TWC, just simple things 'cuz I CRS. Guess it wouldn't kill me to lose them & start over :yuk: , but I'd rather not, hence my question about re-install. Do you still use FSC? You're the one that got me onto it back in 2008. I think I still have the installation file in here somewhere, I'm a big packrat :oops: .
Now on the "always open with", mine are always grayed out so can't be unchecked.

Sorry to be such a dumb pest,
grits

by the way, why aren't there as many "smiles" as there used to be?

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:42 am

You are not a pest! :whp: This site is to help people and what ever. You should be posting those error messages here lol
I bought Faststone, because it's so good! It will save into the format you choose. They are still considered a photo as far as the file format is concerned. Open up the options and see what you have it set up to do. To find the most recent shots you need to know where you told it to save them to. Try looking in 'Recent Places' or Recently Used. I get CRS too so to save my ass I try to save to the same place always with stuff like that.

Smileys, well the 'View More Smilies' link has more of them. What do you see missing? :dnce:

grits
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby grits » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:49 pm

Gads, I wish you were just down the street so I could have you over to see what's going on. I'm too flippin' mad right now to be posting, the language going thru my head right now is not very lady like, especially for a 67 yr old broad. I think I'll just go ahead & take my chances with a re-install.
I can't save everything to the same place 'cuz I have special folders for certain things on my DT. Well, I prolly could IF I knew anything 'bout 'puters.

Just seems like there used to be a bigger variety of smiley's, even in the view more.

Thanks for being there for me tho',
grits

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:03 pm

:huh: What's a DT? Folders are great, so where did you save those screen shots? There is remote access via Messenger Live and I can be in your PC.

grits
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby grits » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 am

Sorry, I did just what has ticked me off many times in reading forums, abbreviations, "DeskTop".
I'm not really sure where they went cuz I again went off my nut & tried something new: decided to try the AutoSave instead of Save to File & didn't really understand what or how to do it so instead of just backing out, I went ahead & stumbled around, but in so doing, just screwed it up. Hadn't uninstalled yet yesterday so was gonna check options,etc. but when I clicked on FSC icon it gave me an Avast warning & suggested I open it in Sandbox but I don't understand that either & Avast Help is over my head too. You really are dealing with a dummy here. Anyway . . . I can do without those few shots I screwed up on so will :x: & re-install I guess.
Thanks for the offer but I don't do the Messenger thing, seems like I've read negative things about it. :?:

Gotta scoot for now,
grits

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Keep us posted

Return to “Migraines & Melancholy”