Grrrrrr Why can't I do even the simplest things?!!!!!

General system trouble. Software, hardware related. NOT for infection assistance.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

grits
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Grrrrrr Why can't I do even the simplest things?!!!!!

Postby grits » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:29 pm

1st was gonna update my Java but wasn't sure which to chose from Sun update page. I thought I wanted JRE but kept getting some other J?? or SE or ??, can't remember now, was hours ago. So then decided to use my 'puppy search' for Java, found about 63 to 73 objects in several search times. Then used Revo to Uninstall Java & still found 63!! Then used JavaRa to remove old stuff. When I checked the list in Extra Tasks, it kept telling me I needed to close Mozilla Firefox! I don't even have it, even did a search for it, nothing found!, tried several times to get JavaRa to complete but wouldn't due to that. Have been at this for hours, also ran CCleaner but now don't remember if I did a search after that or came straight here to blow off :bgmd: :huh: :cldy: :?: :?: . Where's the 'head banging on 'puter' smiley that used to be here? Come to think of it, I think there's other old ones missing & several on the 2nd page don't pop up a description for us dummies that don't know what some smiles mean without it. oops, didn't mean to get so carried away.

Thanx,
grits

grits
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Re: Grrrrrr Why can't I do even the simplest things?!!!!!

Postby grits » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:31 am

oops, guess I was so twitterpated that I didn't even ask a question other than about smiles. Well ..... came back to forum today to ask: should I just manually delete all the 'objects found' in my search results? As long as Java has been uninstalled it should be safe for me to delete everything, right?

Then looked around board for a program that 'somewhere' I saw Jean mention: Agent Ransack, couldn't find anything on it so went to Freeware board & found something that I'm curious about: an app called PUI, posted by Mystery on 3/4/08. I'm wondering if it might be safer than Revo for a novice( 'puter dummy) 'cuz I think the preview of the program said it didn't mess around with the registry?

I 'spose I really should have posted that last paragraph in Freeware board but was on a roll & would have spaced out my thoughts by the time I closed here & got there :rotf: , big time CRS.

Thanx,
grits

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Hey Grits. I don't know what Revo is. For Java uninstall via the control panel and manage programs/ uninstall. Then there will probably be a folder in the Programs folder. What Operating System do you have? CCleaner will find junk files.

This is a good link http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp click the 'Do I have Java' and it will check to see if you have the right version. I have to get to my Birthday cake. I'll be back later and fix up stuff. Promise.
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
ImageImageImage Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

grits
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby grits » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:36 pm

First things first . . . :HB:

Revo is actually several apps in one but I originally installed it to use the Uninstaller part of it 'cuz it's supposed to clean out more stuff than using the Add/Remove in Control Panel. I used Revo on Sat.2/4 so it's gone from Add/Remove if that's what you mean by "via the control panel, then I don't know what you mean by "manage programs/uninstall".
Before I came here to post, I went into 'My Computer' & deleted, I thought, every folder that had the name Java in it, then defragged, then ran CCleaner, did a new search & still came up with approx. 33 objects, altho' some of them were for JavaRa which I actually should have deleted beforehand. I did follow your link for the 'Do I have' & I don't.

I have Windows XP Home SP3
IE8
and enough junk to choke a horse, that's why I've inquired in the past about a 'safe' Duplicates Finder.

Don't know what else to tell you.
Thanx,
grits

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:28 pm

grits wrote:First things first . . . :HB:

Revo is actually several apps in one but I originally installed it to use the Uninstaller part of it 'cuz it's supposed to clean out more stuff than using the Add/Remove in Control Panel. I used Revo on Sat.2/4 so it's gone from Add/Remove if that's what you mean by "via the control panel, then I don't know what you mean by "manage programs/uninstall".
Before I came here to post, I went into 'My Computer' & deleted, I thought, every folder that had the name Java in it, then defragged, then ran CCleaner, did a new search & still came up with approx. 33 objects, altho' some of them were for JavaRa which I actually should have deleted beforehand. I did follow your link for the 'Do I have' & I don't.

I have Windows XP Home SP3
IE8
and enough junk to choke a horse, that's why I've inquired in the past about a 'safe' Duplicates Finder.

Don't know what else to tell you.
Thanx,
grits

Sorry no prompt reply, I didn't get notification. Thanks for the :HB: :urok:
Add/Remove if that's what you mean by "via the control panel, then I don't know what you mean by "manage programs/uninstall".
Basically both terms are the same thing, with Vista the language changed to manage programs...

Defrag after you run any cleanup program, deleting files leaves gaps or fragments. RE: Safe duplicate finder, I don't know of one. I learned the hard way some Windows files are meant to be duplicate. If you could find one with settings for where to scan and totally NOT go to the Windows folder at all you might be safe. C:// Windows and any folder with in off limits. You could do the scan and manually go through the list, hoping you know what every file is and if it's needed or not. If you have a Plus version of WinPatrol, you can look up any file with it and see what it's for. Other wise, you can search Google but NOT without using Web of Trust or some other link analyzer. The hits you will get are going to have lots of bad sites.

I don't know if I've been much help to you Grits. What makes you think you have a lot of junk? Maybe if I had some specifics I could think of a better method.

grits
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby grits » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:52 pm

I do tend to forget defrag after CCleaner. I do have WOT. I tried free WinPatrol a cpl. or so yrs. ago but got frustrated 'cuz I didn't understand it. On my meager Soc.Sec. I just can't see my way clear to buy programs.

As for junk I guess most of it would be what I'm sure are duplicates that pretty much come from my lack of 'puter knowledge & my CRS. I'm quite sure I have dup. pics scattered around besides in My Pictures. Also tend to save sites or FastStone Capture shots to my desktop 'til it's so full & cluttered that I make a desktop folder to gather them into that, then sometime later, most likely a different problem, I'll BING it, find a site & forget that I already have it & save it again, & have prolly repeated that several times :oops: . So maybe I could run a dup. finder to just look in/for certain files?

XP Home SP3
IE8
CCleaner
WOT
MBAM
Revo
Auslogic Defrag
and others - - - - all are the free versions
By the way, are you still at MBAM? I think I have a problem with mine, should I go there to ask you about it or here?

Thanx again

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:28 am

I am not associated with MBAM in any form other than they refuse to delete my account so I remain a member. WinPatrol is free with limited, but still very useful options. He also has great sales where it is greatly reduced in price as low as 99 cents. I have very few paid programs, I live on disability now, before that I had no income.

Return to “Migraines & Melancholy”