Important not to make a quick decision.

General system trouble. Software, hardware related. NOT for infection assistance.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Important not to make a quick decision.

Postby W3FSY » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:14 pm

Thought I would pass along a little experience I had yesterday with my 6 year old Windows XP computer (a V2 Premier purchased from SHOP NBC). Yesterday, I turned on my pc and it went through the motions of loading, but the screen remained black. I kept getting two beeps with a green light staying on on the front of the tower. I thought my hard drive went. I thought I have to make that move to Vista with a new computer. This is what I hate to think of at this time with problems everyone experiences with Vista computers. (MS Defender, WMP 11, IE 7, etc. that I don't really want.)

I spoke to a young guy at a computer repair shop and told him how I was getting two beeps and my monitor was black. He told me that my video card was probably "Bad". I returned home and unscrewed my connector for my monitor and put it back in place. Sure enough I found my problem. I had a poor connection as the monitor came on right away when starting up. About a month ago, I had all the cables off and had blown the dust bunnies out and occassionally afterwards, I would see the monitor blink now and then and my first thoughts were that I have to get my system backed up soon as my hard drive is probably soon going to go.

I gave a call to the guy that used to work on my computer ("PC Doctor") this morning and wanted to ask him about what I needed for doing complete backup and when he would be able to "ghost" everything. Guess, I waited too long as his telephone is disconnected and probably moved from the area. I don't know if I have enough know how to do complete backup and know it would be worth the time so I would not have to put all my software back on. After 6 years of use, there are too many settings that a person does not want to lose and have to restart enabling. Windows updates and validations would have to be gone through once again using recovery disks for getting windows xp back on. I've thought about getting an external hard drive to back up everything should the hard drive fail. Is it possible to clone the XP operating system and all programs used?? Software such as "Ghost" needed or what other software?

:celb: Later, Gang.
RON – W3FSY
(General Class Amateur Radio Operator licensed since 1955.)

Dell Insp. 530 – Windows XP H.Ed. w/SP 3 - 320 Gb HD - 1 Gb RAM - IE 7
Online Armor 5.5.0.1616 (Free) Firewall – Avast! (Free) Antivirus v7.0.1466
MBAM v1.62.00.1300 – SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Ed.) v5.5.1012
SWB v4.6 – ATF Cleaner – Cyber Sent. v3.5.9.0 - FX v14.0.1 - BelArc Adv.

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:37 pm

Yes it is possible to clone, mirror or ghost the entire system. Ghost is one program that does a mirror of the system and is what many reformat disks are when they are not an original OS. I found it very confusing and it didn't work for me. That was me. Some people swear by it. Google has a ton of hits for programs, what you want to be careful of it where your getting the program from. I don't know if you use SiteAdvisor but it shows some yellow sites and I'm sure some red too. Red and yellow sites shouldn't be trusted.

Maybe some other members will chime in with some good programs. This is the Google search results I got. The second and third sites were yellow. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls= ... tnG=Search
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
ImageImageImage Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:30 pm

Heh-heh-heh....you know my advice :D
Linux. Don't fight it. You will be assimilated.
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry--Fort Polk, LA

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:47 pm

Heh....might want to check the Linux thread 8)

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:51 pm

Be nice Mac.

@ Ron, how is this going? Please ask all the qestions you want.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:03 pm

I just posted one for him :D

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:46 pm

Gosh checked in the afternoon and all these posts were not here. LOL

I had an idea you were referring to going the Linux route, Mac. I did read some of the posts that you had on Linux and some seem very interesting. I don't know if it would work for me unless, I wiped everything and started from scratch with Linux as my system. My concern is more with the Hard Drive dying and losing all my present settings as well as installing programs such as "Word" and "Works" as I heard they are not too easily put on. My pc is over 6 years old and only a 40 gb HD using less than 10 gb for my programs and files. A Flash Drive would almost take care of backup, but I don't know if you could cloan the Windows XP OS with it. I saw one of your posts, Mac, that Linux was a Free download.

I'm considering buying an external hard drive at Wally World to back everything up to. I did leave a message on The PC Doctor's answering machine, but he must not want to be bothered "cloaning" everything as he never returned my call. He is moreless set in his ways wanting to do clean installs and work with people with virus problems doing HiJack This to clean up their pc's. His business was going strong, but I suspect something must of happened and he took a job with someone and is only doing this work part-time (evenings and weekends) now. It is a tricky situation. Back in 2003, I downloaded and printed out a Tutorial on using Norton Ghost software that consisted of 25 pages. "Ghost" software keeps changing every year and versions prior to 2003 were supposively the "Best". I didn't buy any software as I was going to leave it up to whoever gave me a hand to decide if they wanted to use something else. I've heard that "framework" is a tricky part to cloan unless you have earlier versions before 2003.

So - I may look to someone else to give me a hand doing cloaning of my Windows XP OS. Catch you later, Jean and Mac.
RON – W3FSY

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:35 pm

No problem. Am I to understand though your main concern is a backup of the operating system? You don't already have the XP disk?

Hardhead
I'm Tellin' Ya'll
I'm Tellin' Ya'll

Postby Hardhead » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:34 pm

Acronis® True Image will do anything you need including cloning.

You would have to get an external hard drive so you would be able to save images of True Image to the drive.
In the event your internal hard drive was to ever go bad you would be able to remove the bad drive and clone the image to a new installed hard drive.

There support forum is at Wilder's here.

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:38 am

You got it correct, Mac. I want to cloan the operating system to a external HD to include all programs and settings to eliminate installing everything should the HD fail with the computer being 6 years old. It would not pay me to tack on another OS on this drive even though it has 73 % Free Space on the drive. If I had a new computer, I most likely would install Linux as it looks to be one's answer today.

Is there such a thing as "Updates" to Linux similar to Windows Updates or do you relie on Forums to find out what has to be done for security with your OS?

Nice meeting you Hardhead. I heard Acronis "True Image" did a good job. I'll inquire around and see if I can find anyone in the area that has experience with Acronis, in case I get stuck.

I have 51 years as a Amateur Radio Opr. ("Ham"), but doing repairs has been a thing of the past with being 67 yrs. old. Memories, memories!

:celb: Later, Gang.
RON – W3FSY

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:04 pm

My Ubuntu checks for updates daily. This can be changed to your preferences of course. It tells me when updates are available and I can look them over before doing anything.

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:42 am

:)
I've been in touch via email with a guy that went to school with my daughter that agreeded to give me a hand and show me how to do complete backup. He plans on using Symantec's Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 - Desktop Edition (software) backing up to a AcomData 80 Gb External HD (hardware). He has gone to computer school and is certified. A few years ago my daughter's similar 40 Gb HD failed in her V2 Premier, also and he put in a new internal 160 Gb HD, but you guessed it. She had to go to all the trouble of re-installing all her programs. I don't think she ever got her word processing program to work properly. He is presently going to night school to earn college credits in addition to working out of town, so he agreeded to give me a hand on the weekend after picking up what is needed for doing backup. He is familiar with using Backup Exec and claims there is nothing to using it and the entire OS can be cloaned in hours instead of days work. I was going to go the CD-R disk route, but it would of been too confusing with the amount of disks needed despite the fact once done - it would not be erased. Probably would of took about 17 disks.

This is not the guy that worked on a virus (Elite Toolbar) that I had several years back. I found out he only wanted to pick his work and didn't want to be bothered with my "Backup Problem".

So, I've ben told that it is not a hard job to do and we shall see as he plans on schooling me on how to use the software as well. Gosh, what one will do to hold on to Windows XP O.S. and not to have to re-install all programs with them having licenses and all.
:D
RON – W3FSY

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Hey good news Ron!! Glad you have it all figured out. I tried a backup once, used 24 CD's and I think 4 or more hours, didn't work!! I don't remember what program I used.

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:20 pm

:D and :(
I guess it is a losing battle trying to hang onto Windows XP. We hung it up here for now. I had a guy give me a hand with "Backup" and he started a little after 9 a.m. and finished up here close to 5 p.m. He picked up a Western Digital external 250 Gb "My Book" HD for $95. and installed Symantec LiveState Recovery Desktop 6.0 (a OEM software "copy") on this 6 yr. old PC. We had to put .NET Framework 1.1 on and get the Windows Update "fix" for it. Needed to check for BIOS updates as after getting everything "backed up" taking about 2 hours to back everything up including the Windows XP O.S., we discovered the PC would hang and not completely reboot when the external "W.D." Hard Drive was turned on. So for now, I don't have the software scheduled to automatically run at a certain time and day of the week. (I do have myself a "copy" of my entire system as far as we can see.) Looks like a manual weekly or monthly backup may have to be done as a work around. My wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse kept acting up with needing an update for my USB connections and there were hints that the PC's power supply might be on its last legs. We kept the PC at FAT 32 instead of changing it to NTFS, so we have 2 folders for restoring as there is a 4 Gb compression limit per folder.

My daughter's PC was a similar SHOP NBC "V2 Premier" (6 year old PC, also) and her HD failed last week. She just bought a new Compaq from Wally World with Vista O.S. on it and it is quite different from "XP" and hard to get used to.

My computer runs like a charm when the external HD is turned off and doesn't cause the computer to hang when starting up. We searched the "W.D." website and someone else had a similar problem with booting up with an external HD connected for "backup".
Later, Gang.
:celb:
RON – W3FSY

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:05 pm

I received a reply to an email sent to my Mentor of 6 yrs that lives in Ohio, USA that really makes a lot of sense.

"PC power up with the external HD"

Sorry, it will not happen.

All PC HHD's need to have the boot sector on an internal drive.

No BIOS can be set to boot off of anything that is hooked up via any USB port.

You can keep an image on an external drive but it then requires a boot disk from the
Symantec program on a floppy disk. Then it has to be compatible with a special USB driver for whichever mfg. Symantec is doing business with at the time.

(I always use the DOS feature of "Ghost" 2003 which enables my DVD's
to boot the machine and not look for any USB support.)

No USB will work until an OS is up and running.

Simply put:
No Windows running = No USB, wireless or external drives will work unless you are booting from a network. You have no network to boot from. A network man should know this.
All it will do is just hang there trying to find a boot sector
which isn't available until the system is up and running.
After the RAM is full from trying comes the CRASH called the BSOD.

The way you guys have things set up now nothing will work very well.
If it's the Power Supply that your machine needs I've seen them at Best Buy and Office Max yesterday for around $25.

The thing to consider now is that your CPU chip, RAM, HHD size and MB are obsolete by today's standard.

If you do a BIOS update now after all of the things done
today it just may crash when doing the benchmark.

Everything is six years old and may have weakness in some of the circuits.
It's a gamble that I wouldn't take.
My theory is if it ain't broke---etc.

My understanding of the situation is that you should be booted up before turning on your external HD for it to be recognized in order to make additional "Backups". I feel at this time that my PC has seen its better days and will be switching to "Premium Vista O.S." on a PC similar to what my Daughter just purchased with at least 2 Gb of RAM and at least a 320 Gb Hard Drive. Putting Symantec LiveState backup software on my PC has slowed it down somewhat and looks like I will be having to go with something more modern. The external HD will still be of use should I get a different computer. A Lesson in Life, I guess. :roll:
RON – W3FSY

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:13 pm

Wonder what it would take to drag that mentor in here to join? I get a joke here and there but it would be nice to have him active here, don't ya think?

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:05 pm

-:-
I don't know, Jean. Back when I just joined, I told Joea about registering here and sent him the link to the site, but he is a busy man and signs into some PS forums. He sends me some of his work he does. His wife is an artist and so is his nephew and he does a lot of the PS camera work for the pictures. His nephew did a painting of the President's Dad - George Bush, Sr. in his fighter pilot uniform last year. Outstanding work! We've been email cousins exchanging a "variety of emails" every day for the last 5-6 yrs.
One of these days, he may surprise everyone and register here, Jean.
:tu:
RON – W3FSY

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:14 pm

:tu:
I just noticed your "Reputation" has been upgraded, Jean by SPD. I knew someone could do it within the group. 8)
RON – W3FSY

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:15 pm

So Ron, after all of this, you don't want to give Linux a try?

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:11 pm

8) :lol:

:shot: C'mon, Mac! The old PC is getting old!

I do have your link (Why Linux is better) in My Favorites and have looked at it several times. I've considered downloading to a DVD to take a peek around, but I'm afraid this PC will get bogged down and soon not run at all if I keep adding more and more software. Have over 10 Gb of programs, updates, etc. on a 40 Gb HD. I just ran ScanDisk and Defrag last night again with having done so many changes here on Saturday with Window Updates and Backup. Seems to have helped as pages are flying a bit faster. Got back another Gb after doing maintenance dumping all those "Restore Points" from Saturday. :roll:
RON – W3FSY

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:12 pm

You talked about getting a new pc. Linux will revive an old pc. Plus, you don't need to 'dvd' the download. Ubuntu is less than 700 megs and some distros are less than 100 megs. And, you don't have to install it to try it. But, all this info has already been said so I won't say it anymore.

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:30 am

As much as I hate to go the "Vista OS" route, I think I'm going to have to in order to keep up with new changes. I exported "My Favorites" in Internet Explorer 6 to "My Documents" folder on all three accounts to put them on a flash drive. (My CD-RW drive is acting up and will not let me burn a CD to put My Favorites and Pictures on a CD-RW disk). It works to view pictures that are already on some of my CD disks. (It could be I'm doing something wrong and don't know it as it's been about a year since I burned a cd.) New pc's don't have a floppy drive, so I can't put things on a floppy. I've printed out my address books for a record of email addresses. Very likely I'll go with a Compaq Presario SR5123WM Desktop PC w/19" LCD monitor from Wal-mart and take a 2 yr warranty on it. My daughter just picked one up and it is pretty darn nice, but then it is "Vista" (Home Premium). I keep watching their website checking if they got any in our local store. Seems that particular brand and model are in big demand and they go fast. I just downloaded IE 7 with tab browsing for using on this computer and it is all together different than IE 6. I wanted to get the feel of IE 7 as that is what I have to put up with using a new store bought computer. I figured I could go back to using IE 6 if I tried it out now using Windows XP. I plan on keeping this computer in case anything happens to my new computer that I have something to fall back on. It is fully updated with windows xp updates and all.

My CA eTrust EZ Antivirus just started acting up on Monday. I've emailed them with no responds telling me why I keep getting a "fatal error 3" when it is trying to download new modules (virus definitions). I'm behind six definitions that have not installed. Grrrr!!! Darn, and it is licensed till March 2011. I'm at a loss and ready to go the Free AVG route.

Our local Wal-mart Supercenter just got (6) eMachines in with Windows XP on a 80 Gb HD and with 512 mb of RAM. Where they found them, I have no idea. It was tempting to buy one for $300. as they come without a monitor, but no telling how long Windows XP will be around.

I saw Bill post on wxpc that SP1 is coming out for Vista at the end of the year.

RON – W3FSY

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:17 am

Ron Microsoft is guaranteeing support for XP until 2012 and new PC's are still available with XP. You will be able to buy an XP system until June '08 http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/0 ... nwwpkg=gbu

If you wanted to start a new topic about your burning trouble we might be able to sort it out for you also. It could be as simple as a driver.

As for your AV, I would never go with that program from the get go. There are at least 4 others totally free I can think of with better detection and performance ratings.

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:43 am

:) I got so darn disqusted with my Antivirus not updating and not getting any replies to my emails that last night I un-installed the antivirus and re-installed it using the download I had saved in My Documents folder. I have a "back-up cd" I paid $10. for from them, but figured I could use that if I picked up another computer. Anyways, I got the AV to update now and it is working as it should.

I've been checking out Dell's website and I've found an Inspiron 530 with Windows XP Home Edition, 19" Monitor, 1 Gb of Ram and a 320 Gb HD. I would most likely add a floppy drive as I place a lot of small stuff on floppies and would miss not having a floppy drive. Buying from them, I would still be able to order it without AOL and Earth Link as well as Norton Antivirus with their being a resource hog. The only thing I would have to do is find out if they will accept a Bank's "Cashier Check" as payment. (They are all hep on monthly payments and all that jazz.) I only use a Check Card as I'm against credit cards and have no use for them. I purchased this Shop NBC computer using a cashier check, but it took longer to complete the purchase. My mentor friend suggested I go the route of Tiger Direct, but I'm interested in picking up a 2 yr warranty and I don't know if they would be able to handle that for me.

This pc is working great and I would keep it as a spare. (I better knock on wood!)

When you get used to an Antivirus for years, it is hard to switch if you know what I mean, Jean. I know as a former user of Norton SystemWorks, I found it hard to get used to EZ Antivirus over the years.

Enough of my ramblings.
RON – W3FSY

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:58 pm

Ron I think your confused about a few things. 1. You can use your backup CD anytime you darned well feel like it. It is not a one time use item, or at least I have never seen one that was. 2. All those programs you mention are easily just uninstalled, no need to ever pay more or shop all over to find a deal without them. Just gut them out. 3. Joe says go Tiger Direct because it is probably cheaper, and it is the manufacturer offering the warranty and that will be with their PC no matter where you buy I'm fairly sure. 4. No need to try using a Cashiers Check if you have a Check Card, or debit card. I can use mine as a credit card as well and I use it as a debit or credit card for online purchases.

I also don't put much faith in your choice of AV program. There are lots of better free programs.
8)

Return to “Migraines & Melancholy”