Mac's Messups

General system trouble. Software, hardware related. NOT for infection assistance.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Mac's Messups

Postby rockingmtranch » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:36 pm

Yes, yes. This is about virus infection on XP. Wanted to share this for anyone's benefit.
I've already stated that I use my wife's pc to surf while I play pc games on mine. I also download .exe files (using Linux) and transfer them via flash drive to my computer (game stuff...not real interesting). Just for fun yesterday, I installed and ran a virus scanner in Ubuntu and it found W32/Magistr.a@MM and W32/Netsky.c@MM in a bunch (bushel bunch) of DLL files. Since there aren't any DLL files in Linux, I looked at the path and sure enough, they were in the XP Pro partition. Hmmm.....crap. I must have downloaded a virus or two, Linux was unfazed and they found their way into Windows. Bad Mac....
So, off to WindowsXPCentral to look at the infection removal instructions and all is going well up to online scans....No go there. IE browsers only. Oh well. I can take on those suckers.
Download Lavasoft and run a full scan. Nothing. What? Run it again. Nothing. Argh! Ok, manually.
I start by writing down all the file names and chasing them down one by one and deleting them. Well, the ones Windows will allow me too anyway. And, no I'm not afraid to totally screw things up and have to reformat. This is just my wife's computer after all....I mean, I want to make sure her computer is running properly. Yeah. That's it.
I got them all but three and then forgot to empty the recycle bin before going back to Linux and running that scan again. It this time found even more DLL's and sys files plus replaced a lot that I deleted plus the recycle bin was full of the suckers. That virus scan is kicking ass but not able to do anything but point them out.
Back online. Found a removal tool for each of the viruses. Download. Install. Run as per all instructions. NO VIRUS!
Talk about Ghost's In The Machine.
Back to Linux. Run scan. Still showing up........I'm going back to my computer and play my game!
Linux. Don't fight it. You will be assimilated.
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry--Fort Polk, LA

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:21 pm

You mean the files are still showing up? These are both mass mailing worms and old. What are you using for an AV program? AdAware won't take them out.
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
ImageImageImage Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:00 pm

I don't use anything on the Windows. It never connects to the internet. If the removal tools are saying they are not on the computer, then the only source that they exist is the scanner in Ubuntu. I, uh, huh?

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:13 pm

I'm guessing you got something in the game files if you never connect to the internet with it. Most worms of this type are self replicating and will also be in System Restore points that were made after the infection. Get a trial version of any decent AV and get rid of them that way. Antivir, NOD32, AVG all should have no problem getting rid of it. You can also post a HJT log in that forum and I'll take a gander for you.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:25 pm

I mistakenly put Lavasoft. AVG is what I ran. I can't believe this whole virus thing is 'false definition'. I found a thread from 2005 with this exact same thing. I...I...boy do I feel like I had a byte taken out of my ........
All is good. XP is squeaky clean on both computers and I'll leave the virus scanning to you Jean.
(talk about your learning experiences)

*shuffles away to play a game and stop messing with stuff*

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:32 am

Hehe I meant to mention false positive last night.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

No taskbar

Postby rockingmtranch » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:56 pm

I was playing a game and it froze. I had to push my reset button and now I don't have a taskbar. How can I get into System Restore without a taskbar?

Scratch that. Found a way but System Restore says it's not able to protect my computer. Restart and try again. ???? Crap.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:31 pm

Well crap. I think it's toast this time. Doing the manual system restore won't work either. Even in Recovery Console, it isn't acting right telling me 'md' (which is where you have to start) isn't a correct parameter. Ick! :(

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:56 am

I think I've narrowed this down to the Windows Installer and the .NET Framework. Both seem to be messed up. When I crash, I CRASH!!! :shock:

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:43 am

Game over. FUBARRED and reformatting now. Then, I'll just have to figure how to get back into the Linux partition. Shouldn't be too difficult if I can find the GRUB menu.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:23 pm

Well, I think I lost the Linux partition. But, on the bright side, after using XP Pro for seven years without a service pack, I found a way to get SP2 integrated into it. So, I have formatted twice this morning and now am installing Windows 'again'. Then by golly I'm gonna put Gutsy on :D

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:46 pm

*shakes head*

W3FSY
I Joined Up
I Joined Up

Postby W3FSY » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:49 am

Your telling me to go to "Linux", Mac??

Your still in need of having Windows XP and you have a need for an anti-virus program, firewall and some malware security programs for your own protection. No way around it!

I hope your able to get it straighten out, Mac. I have my hands full just understanding Windows XP, let alone understand a new language with using "Linux". You must have more of an understanding of what your doing than me.

:roll:
RON – W3FSY
(General Class Amateur Radio Operator licensed since 1955.)

Dell Insp. 530 – Windows XP H.Ed. w/SP 3 - 320 Gb HD - 1 Gb RAM - IE 7
Online Armor 5.5.0.1616 (Free) Firewall – Avast! (Free) Antivirus v7.0.1466
MBAM v1.62.00.1300 – SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Ed.) v5.5.1012
SWB v4.6 – ATF Cleaner – Cyber Sent. v3.5.9.0 - FX v14.0.1 - BelArc Adv.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:47 pm

I didn't tell you to do anything Ron. I don't have any protection on my XP because I don't connect to the internet with it. Just for gaming. All of my internet is done on Linux which you would know if you had read any of my posts.

Return to “Migraines & Melancholy”