Connecting NOT

General system trouble. Software, hardware related. NOT for infection assistance.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Connecting NOT

Postby JeanInMontana » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:59 pm

I'm trying to connect my lappy to the network at work. I think I hacked it for connection to the network, but can't seem to get to the www. Out bound is great, nothing is coming in. I have tried using the repair and it fails. I have never had a problem with connecting before. Am I fooling myself and I'm really not into the network? Or what? Having sever withdrawals from my own stuff here... LOL
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
ImageImageImage Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

MysteryFCM
Runnin The Show
Runnin The Show

Postby MysteryFCM » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:20 pm

Take it one step at a time ..... first things first, if it's not using DHCP, remove it's static IP and allow it to be given one.

Next, go to Start > Run and type:

ipconfig /all

Does it have an IP? if not;

1. If it's connecting wirelessly and the wireless has security, check the key is correct
2. Check the wireless device (or DHCP server if not wireless) is not restricting access/DHCP assignment

If it's got an IP, can you ping the gateway? if not, check the above

If you can ping the gateway, can you ping an external site's IP (e.g. your forum's ;) .... or Google) ? if not, check your DNS servers (try changing them to OpenDNS for example)

If you can ping external site's, check your browser settings (or an alternate browser if available)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:07 pm

:shock: OK... the repair of the IP fails for some reason. I don't know how to remove any IP.

Typing ipconfig / all brought up a cmd prompt type box. It flashed so fast I don't know what it said.

I have no idea what the key for the wireless should be or where to see it. The network connects via a Linskeys router to broadband. How do I ping anything? How do I change DNS? There is nothing listed for that in properties at all.

Steven, am not good at hardware stuff. I am sure that will all flash back to you now. :rotf:

MysteryFCM
Runnin The Show
Runnin The Show

Postby MysteryFCM » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:08 pm

JeanInMontana wrote::shock: OK... the repair of the IP fails for some reason. I don't know how to remove any IP.

hehe np ...... Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

Right click the connection you are using and click Properties, then Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and change the option to automatically obtain :)

OOI, did it mention why it failed?

JeanInMontana wrote:Typing ipconfig / all brought up a cmd prompt type box. It flashed so fast I don't know what it said.

I should have mentioned, before typing that, you need to click Start > Run and type CMD, then type ipconfig /all

JeanInMontana wrote:I have no idea what the key for the wireless should be or where to see it. The network connects via a Linskeys router to broadband. How do I ping anything? How do I change DNS? There is nothing listed for that in properties at all.

If it connects wirelessly, then the key will be in the wireless config options (usually there's an icon for this in the systray), otherwise you'll find it in the wireless security section of the router config. (as an aside, if you don't know the key or where to find it, I'm inclined to presume it's not using one ..... which is very very bad practice ;)).

To ping;

1. Click Start > Run, and type: CMD
2. Type: ping {DOMAIN_OR_IP} (e.g. ping it-mate.co.uk)

To change the DNS servers, as mentioned above, Start > Control Panel > Network Connections, right click the desired connection and click Properties, then double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

JeanInMontana wrote:Steven, am not good at hardware stuff. I am sure that will all flash back to you now. :rotf:

hehe no worries :)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:37 pm

Hehe well what I thought was the password is NOT. So that is why I can't connect. We can take this up if needed after I get a PW.

I'm betting I will have to delete the connection I created though and start fresh with the correct password.

Return to “Migraines & Melancholy”